Sunday, September 23, 2012

Go ahead. Burn 'Em! The Birth of a Sausage Ball Casserole.

It was Saturday afternoon and everything was perfect.  The game was on.  The skies were beautiful.  It was the first day of Fall and I am now charged with putting together my sausage balls for the Sunday School breakfast the next morning.  My 5 year old daughter helped me and we rolled out 4 large trays of sausage balls. What a moment to spend with her.  Yes, all great until I saw a little smoke come out of the oven.  Hmm, I wonder what in the world that could be.  Surely that's not my perfect little sausage balls. Great day, it was the bottom 2 pans on the bottom rack.  I took the pans out and they were burnt on the bottom.  Boo!  Never fear, the tops were delicious!  So, in an effort to not waste food, I cut all the tops off and made a Sausage Ball Casserole.  It turned out great.  Here are the details:

Sausage Ball Casserole
16-25 cooked Sausage Balls, cooled (depends on the size of you the balls you made.  Cover the bottom of the casserole dish plus a little.)
2 cups of shredded cheese (Cheddar or Mexican Blend)
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup of milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (optional)

Whisk eggs and add milk.   Add salt and pepper and whisk until thoroughly blended.  Crumble sausage balls and place on the bottom of a casserole pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (I used an oval dish that was smaller than a 9x11 but larger than a 8x8.  I really think this is flexible.) Place cheese over the sausage balls.  Pour egg mixture over all of this.  Bake at 425 degrees for approx 20 minutes or until center is set. Sprinkle with thyme, if available.

Note: 
  • Adding a can of chopped green chilies would be AWESOME!!  I was out!
  • Don't put it back into the oven for 5 more minutes like I did.  Your cheese will get too done!  Live and learn, right?!
  • This is even a reason to keep some cooked, frozen sausage balls in the freezer.  Nuke 'em briefly in the micro and make yourself a casserole!
So, go ahead.......burn 'em!  There's always a Plan B! 

Cook soon!  Make another memory! 


No comments:

Post a Comment